Wednesday, October 8, 2014

My son has his own health team

Kids are spoiled these days I'm convinced about it. Let's look at communications, sit in any coffee shop and every three year old and their dog has an iPhone 5 and can be heard asking their parents for a 6, I have a 4 and am happy. When I was growing up we had one fixed line and I had to beg to use it. Kids!

Now I come to healthcare. Here I am aged 37 and I have a GP who I might see maybe once a year if he's unlucky. I also have a physio that I occasionally see if I've overdone the running. And finally a chiropractor who whips me into shape when I've screwed my back up by over exerting myself by say mowing the lawn. Now I come to my dearly beloved son Mitchell aged almost six months.

Mitch, bless his cotton socks that never stay on, has a full team of healthcare practitione looking after him and it costs me a bloody fortune and a day a week of our time. First we have our rock and his best friend Hedi the Paediatrician. Legend of a woman and first call always. Next on the list is the nursing sister Penny who happens to be the sister of Robyn one of the ward sisters at the hospital Mitch has spend too much time at. Next on the list is Anna his chiropractor! Yes not six months old and he has his own chiro. Finally we have the latest addition to the team Kath the Paediatric Nutritionist who by the way I blog for at www.nutripaeds.co.za shameless plug but hey this is my blog......

We see each of these fine ladies once a month and are in almost weekly contact with them. Does he realize the financial or time cost? I swear to god he must think that he's the son of Brangelina! It's crazy. When I was reading the definitive guide to being a parent I got the impression that babies sleep, eat and crap in no particular order. Boy were they wrong because if that was the case I'd still have money and zero medical bills, perhaps I should offer to rewrite the book?

Oh just to make things even more fun Mitch as started to teethe so I'm just waiting for the Paediatric dentist appointment and bills to enter my life.

Seriously, seriously seriously how much attention does the man need!


No comments:

Post a Comment